Homes for Sale in Dilworth
Dilworth’s Grand Opening was May 20, 1891, receiving its name from Edward Dilworth Latta, a businessman and entrepreneur.
Dilworth was the first street car suburb in Charlotte and got its name from Edward Dilworth Latta; a businessman, entrepreneur, and real estate investor. Before Dilworth’s Grand Opening on May 20, 1891, Edward Dilworth Latta made a couple preparations before its establishment. Latta made investments in different projects among the Charlotte area and founded the Charlotte Trouser Company in 1883. Knowing that Charlotte was growing fast in industrial and population he knew it was an asset to proceed with beginning a suburb for residency.
Latta joined with Mayor F.B. McDowell and four others on July 8, 1890 that created the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company. Known as the Four Cs, the group was led by Latta and they purchased 442 acres that underwent excavation and grading on September 12, 1890. The process towards targeting the wealthy and middle class suburbia was underway.
Latta, with the Four Cs, contracted out to first create an electric streetcar system to connect Dilworth to the city. Another planned out perk that drew attention to Dilworth, was Latta Park. The Park was designed by landscape architect Joseph Forsyth Johnston. Strategically placed at the end of Dilworth’s trolley line, it filled its duty for aesthetically appeasing sights and amenities such as a lake, garden, fountains, and walkways that attracted people into the area. Gradually, more money was invested to keep and cultivate the areas inflation. It wasn’t until 1911 that Latta brought in landscape architect the Olmsted Brothers that made an expansion and improved the parks design. Impressively, Latta Park still stands today.
Dilworth’s opening day was filled with auctioneers resulting a vast selling in 78 properties. However, things didn’t sell too well shortly after. It wasn’t really until the Atherton Cotton Mills was introduced in 1893 that things picked back up. The company owner took a big purchase of lots in Dilworth at that time to create rental cottages for the workers. In 1895, so much industrial working companies surrounded the area; Dilworth lost its appeal in the community.
In a stretch to save the community the Four Cs put out marketing tacks and continued to seek after the middle-class with its modernization. The suburb gained gas, electric and sewage advantages. Houses began to accumulate fast. Shops, churches, and commercial joined the neighborhood. Between 1890 and 1910 the population of the city almost tripled. After the annex the city became known as Ward 8 of Charlotte. (Read more)
In 1903, there was a huge strike in regards to the trolley car heaters not being operational for the workers. The strike caused a huge riot on South Boulevard in Dilworth. Shots were fired and the people became inquisitive towards the Four Cs intentions. On top of that, Latta and the Four Cs could no longer meet the requirements to uphold the gas, power service, and trolley line within entering the new era because of the competitive new entrepreneurs.
Latta later moved off to Asheville and passed away in 1925. The suburb definitely went through a lot of changes and downfalls. However, in the 1970s the The Dilworth Community Development Association elected a group of members that has since greatly impacted the city planning; keeping Dilworth a beloved area to reside in today’s Queen City.
The suburb’s homes represented the Victorian architecture at the turn of the century, and holds, today, Victorian and Colonial Revival collections. At the corner of Dilworth Road and E. Morehead there still sits the 1950s built church. The areas charm and history surrounds the areas appeal and it’s no wonder why so many still swarm here.