Homes For Sale in Myers Park
Myers Park is one of the most influential designed suburbs in the South East. The land was accumulated by J.S. “Jack” Meyers. After his inheritance in 1869, Jack continued to purchase land stretching from Providence to Sugar Creek gathering up 1005 acres. He longed to transform the land into a suburb of taste and wealth. When Jack’s daughter Sophia married George Stephens in 1902, things kicked off for the rich development for Myers Park.
The name Myers Park was given before the suburb emerged. From the acres of land to his country house, J.S. Myers strolled along planting the roads and his home yard with trees giving name “Myers Park”. Jack’s country home stood until a little after 1911. It was demolished but the front yard has remained as J.S. Myers Park; bounded by Hermitage Rd., Ardsley Rd., and Providence Rd. across from the Manor Theater. (Hanchett)
George Stephens, a realtor, partnered with investors in 1911 to begin the process to carry out Myers’ suburban dream. Stephens Company brought in sought-after landscape architecture and city planner John Nolen in 1911 to undergo plans. John Nolen along with city planner Earle Summer Draper – two of the most important city planners in the United States that formed the Charlotte area – created intricate design that strayed away from the systematic grid-street layout to curve-line and nature inspired design. With this team, Myers Park was underway to “the finest unified suburban development south of Baltimore”.
Stephens purchased more land to expand the community. The Watkins property purchase was among the most important, giving the connection of land to Elizabeth Avenues trolley line. Today the Myers Park gates, the first blocks of Queens Road, and all of Colonial and Amherst avenues occupy the old Watkins property. Stephens and Nolan planned the suburb in a way that would draw in more community by creating mixed lots, with various house sizes, and disparity in prices. Nolan and Stephens also brought in education by offering – what’s now known as Queens University – free land at the center of Myers Park. This posed as another great lure in tenants.
Residents began to accumulate in 1912. Mansions, bungalows, and Tudor and Revival style homes entered the suburb. Spacious walkways lined with trees and medians with grassy green areas were incorporated through winding roads. Nolan specified a mix of trees including; willow, oak, tulip, plane, and elm. Between 1915-1916 tree moving was inherited; Water oaks and willow oaks were best for the streets because of their resistance to disease and these trees are still admired today.
Layout and design was admired from all over. Mention of Myers Park was found from The Charlotte Observer, The Garden Magazine, to the Newspapers. Myers Park started with one stone-arched streetcar entrance accompanied by two stone walkway entrances on either side of the gate in 1912 at intersection Fourth and Queens. The trolley entrance has been removed but the two walkway entrances remain today as a reminder of its history.
After Stephens left in 1922 and a new realtor and engineer came in the picture, Nolen’s original city plans were dissuaded. City ordinances and zoning demolition have come and gone. Remodeling has been attributed to many homes and the area continues to strive. Many investors and other city planners have sought to copy the extraordinary design of Myers Park that has lasted well after a century. The suburb started with textile owners, lawyers, bankers, and high profession owners. Today you may see a lot of the same with incorporation of the middle-class. This suburb is an influential residence with hopes to continue to prosper.